The International Economic Development Council (IEDC) recently presented the organization’s 2014 Excellence in Economic Development Awards and Leadership Awards. The 2014 Excellence in Economic Development Award winners were honored for their creative programs advancing economic development and improving communities throughout the world. The Leadership Awards recognized outstanding leaders in the public and private sectors who were advancing economic development in their communities.
IEDC’s Excellence in Economic Development Awards recognize the world’s best economic development programs and partnerships, marketing materials, and new media. These awards pay tribute to organizations and individuals for their efforts in creating positive change in urban, suburban and rural communities. Winners demonstrate to the experienced panel of judges that they are at the forefront of the economic development profession. IEDC recognizes only the most successful, innovative and effective leaders, programs, partnerships and promotional materials.
The inaugural Best in Show Award was presented to Buffalo Niagara Enterprise, Buffalo, NY, for its “Are You Right for Buffalo?” video. The Best in Show Award is presented to the best entry out of all 24 categories of promotional, programmatic and partnership awards. Buffalo Niagara Enterprise’s video was selected because of its innovation, effectiveness and creativity. The award was accepted by Thomas Kucharski, CEcD, president and CEO of the organization.
IEDC’s Leadership Awards recognize the world’s best economic development leaders. These prestigious awards honor individuals for their efforts in creating positive change in urban, suburban, and rural communities. 2014 winners include:
Fellow Member Designations:
- Barbara K. Johnson, Principal at The Johnson Group
- David Leezer, CEcD, Director of Economic Development at City of St. Charles
- Fred Morley, Executive Vice President and Chief Economist at Greater Halifax Partnership
- Mary Jane Stanley, CEcD, EM, President & CEO at Stanley Advisory Associates, LLC
Honorary Life Member Designations:
- Austin Burke, Economic Development Consultant at Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce
Honorary Certified Economic Developer:
- Mayor Hazel McCallion, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Young Economic Developer of the Year:
- Jon Bittner, Deputy Commissioner at State of Alaska
Jeffrey A. Finkle Organizational Leadership Award:
- Gregory H. Wingfield, President at Greater Richmond Partnership, Inc.
- Christian Saublens, Executive Manager at the European Association of Development Agencies
Lifetime Achievement Award for Excellence in Economic Development, in honor of Edward deLuca:
- Edward A. Nelson, Jr., CEcD, FM, HLM, Economic Development Professional at USFC-EDI
Institutional Leadership Award
- Diane Kaplan, President & CEO at Rasmuson Foundation
Citizen Leadership Award
- Leslie Jacobs, Vice Chair at New Orleans Business Alliance
- Kimber Lanning, Executive Director at Local First Arizona
Outgoing Board Chairman
- William C. Sproull, FM, Chairman at International Economic Development Council