Kiel NA, LLC, a manufacturer of seating systems for the transportation industry, announced plans to locate its first U.S. facility in Elkhart, Indiana. The company will invest $3.78 million to lease and equip a 20,000-square-foot space on Wyland Drive, creating up to 62 new jobs by 2015.
The Nördlingen, Germany-based Kiel, which specializes in seating for buses and trains, will purchase new machinery and information technology equipment for the new facility slated to be operational this fall. The company currently employs approximately 750 associates worldwide and plans to begin hiring new administrative, engineering, sales and production associates this October.
“Our low-tax policies, highly-skilled workforce and expansive infrastructure will keep Indiana at the top of the list of best places to do business,” said Governor Mitch Daniels.
Founded in 1945 by Franz Kiel, the Bavarian company began operations as a manufacturer of rigid seating frames before producing adjustable passenger seats known commonly as the “Greyhound Seat.” Kiel, which offers prototype creation and testing services for customers, operates eight facilities throughout Europe.
“Kiel has become a well-known and trusted strategic partner in the European market. So it only makes sense for us to expand to North America,” said Mark Walter, director of finance at Kiel North America. “Indiana is a great location to set up our base of operation due to economic reasons as well its central location in the United States.”
The Indiana Economic Development Corporation offered Kiel NA, LLC up to $300,000 in conditional tax credits and up to $150,000 in training grants based on the company’s job creation plans. These tax credits are performance-based, meaning until Hoosiers are hired, the company is not eligible to claim incentives. The city of Elkhart approved additional property tax abatement.
“We are excited about Kiel’s investment in our community,” said Elkhart Mayor Dick Moore. “This is yet another example of an international company finding Elkhart as the ideal location to manufacture and distribute their products throughout North America. Companies around the globe are recognizing that Elkhart has a unique combination of location, workforce and cost of doing business that makes our community second to none. We couldn’t be more pleased.”
You might like:
- 3D Systems Expanding In Tennessee
- Amazon Adding Two New Fulfillment Facilities In California
- Business Report: Illinois Leaders Form Non-Profit to Spur Job Creation
- Industry Focus: Aerospace Sector Is Flying High Again
- Kansas City Launches “Smart City” Initiative
- Data Cowboys
- Leading FDI Experts Analyze Global Trends At LiveXchange
- Michigan Hot Dog Maker To Expand, Hire 140 Workers
- Last Chance
- Chicago Celebrates Technology Startup Hub Expansion, 700 New Tech Jobs
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries HQ Moving To Texas
- State Focus: New York – Accelerating Biotech Innovation In The Empire State
- Shopping Bag Manufacturer Creating 100 Jobs In Georgia
- SIG SAUER Moving Ammunition Manufacturing To Arkansas
- Automotive Parts Supplier Expanding In Indiana
- Salesforce To Grow Regional HQ, Add 800 Jobs In Indiana
- Advanced Manufacturing Industry: Dynamic Advancements
- Two-Way Street
Topic Tags: IN