Kiel NA, LLC, a manufacturer of seating systems for the transportation industry, announced plans to locate its first U.S. facility in Elkhart, Indiana. The company will invest $3.78 million to lease and equip a 20,000-square-foot space on Wyland Drive, creating up to 62 new jobs by 2015.
The Nördlingen, Germany-based Kiel, which specializes in seating for buses and trains, will purchase new machinery and information technology equipment for the new facility slated to be operational this fall. The company currently employs approximately 750 associates worldwide and plans to begin hiring new administrative, engineering, sales and production associates this October.
“Our low-tax policies, highly-skilled workforce and expansive infrastructure will keep Indiana at the top of the list of best places to do business,” said Governor Mitch Daniels.
Founded in 1945 by Franz Kiel, the Bavarian company began operations as a manufacturer of rigid seating frames before producing adjustable passenger seats known commonly as the “Greyhound Seat.” Kiel, which offers prototype creation and testing services for customers, operates eight facilities throughout Europe.
“Kiel has become a well-known and trusted strategic partner in the European market. So it only makes sense for us to expand to North America,” said Mark Walter, director of finance at Kiel North America. “Indiana is a great location to set up our base of operation due to economic reasons as well its central location in the United States.”
The Indiana Economic Development Corporation offered Kiel NA, LLC up to $300,000 in conditional tax credits and up to $150,000 in training grants based on the company’s job creation plans. These tax credits are performance-based, meaning until Hoosiers are hired, the company is not eligible to claim incentives. The city of Elkhart approved additional property tax abatement.
“We are excited about Kiel’s investment in our community,” said Elkhart Mayor Dick Moore. “This is yet another example of an international company finding Elkhart as the ideal location to manufacture and distribute their products throughout North America. Companies around the globe are recognizing that Elkhart has a unique combination of location, workforce and cost of doing business that makes our community second to none. We couldn’t be more pleased.”
You might like:
- 1,000th Michigan Business Lands Energy Incentives
- California, Illinois, Texas Lead The Charge Toward A Modernized Power Grid
- AvePoint Expanding In Richmond And Arlington County, Virginia
- Super Bowl 50 To Generate Over $220M For San Francisco Bay Area
- Grid Stars
- Valmiera Glass To Invest $90M In Georgia
- Indiana Electrical Grid Management Firm Adding 80+ Jobs
- Sustainable Corrugated Investing $15M In Georgia
- Olympus Will Build National Service Center in Bartlett, TN
- Illinois Is Top State For LEED Green Building
- Rapid Growth Leads 2U To New Maryland HQ
- Icy Hot
- Walking the Walk: Innovation Summit
- Business Facilities LiveXchange Announces 2016 Keynote Panel
- Daimler Trucks To Invest $22.7M In SC Freightliner Facilities
Topic Tags: IN