From the Desk of the Editor in Chief
This month, we cast our view over the horizon and bring back a front-line report on several nations aspiring to lead the competition for foreign direct investment. In a world taking uncertain steps on the path to recovery, the stakes are enormous.
Our 17th Annual Global Issue is chock full of action, from the ongoing life sciences and ICT juggernaut in Berlin to the island-wide entrepreneurial hub that is Barbados. We also paid a visit this year to the emerging economic powerhouse of South America, Brazil, now home to the world’s seventh-largest economy. The Brazilians are fueling their cars with sugar-based ethanol and their fiscal security with 4.5-percent growth.
There was even time for a side trip to Israel. Not surprisingly, Israel gets high points for durability and efficiency from our economic development gurus. This small but potent nation was cited by the IMD World Competitiveness Yearbook for having the most resilient banking system during the financial crisis.
Forgive us for a hometown slant, but without a doubt our favorite stop this month was at the 16-acre parcel in lower Manhattan that used to be known as Ground Zero.
As documented in our Snapshots sidebar, the reconstruction of the World Trade Center site is proceeding at a fever pitch. This month’s news from Pakistan gives us hope that the 10th anniversary of 9/11 will mark a joyous rebirth in the heart of New York City as well as a somber remembrance of unspeakable evil.
You might like:
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment
- Eli Lilly and Company To Expand Indianapolis R&D Headquarters
- Business Report: Tennessee – DENSO Manufacturing Expanding in Maryville, TN
- Business Report – North Carolina: Growing Innovation Throughout The Tarheel State
- Business Report – California: Largest Solar Facility On Earth Goes Operational
- Alcoa Expands R&D Center Near Pittsburgh
- U.S. Innovation Hubs: Inventing the Future
- Logistics Networks Are Getting Back On Track
- Panama Canal: Bigger, Better and Ready to Rumble
- Bell Inc. To Invest $30M In Ohio Carton Manufacturing Facility
- NTN Driveshaft Adding 500+ Jobs in Indiana
- GE To Add 120 Jobs, Invest $7.4M In Iowa Manufacturing Facility