Worst, er, Best Idea of the Week: No Blagojevich!
Former Illinois governor and current punchline, Rod Blagojevich, was my surefire pick for Worst Idea of the Week. Yes, I know–his despicable, profanity-laden scandal regarding the sale of President Obama’s former Senate seat dominated headlines several months ago.
But this week Blagojevich returned to the esteemed pages of, uh, Entertainment Weekly as a potential contender for NBC’s upcoming reality bomb, I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here (a show popularized in Britain that strands D-list celebrities in a remote location while TV viewers (if there are any) vote on which people to keep around until a winner is announced.)
Blagojevich is a casting faux pas on so many levels. Firstly, I consider Blah Blah Blago to be infamous, not famous–certainly not a celebrity! (His hair style definitely didn’t set any style trends.) But more importantly, what kind of message are we sending by letting a recently impeached, disgraced governor earn and compete for cash (reportedly, $80,000 per week!) on TV? Sure, he has the right to but…
…actually, breaking news: a judge has denied Blagojevich the opportunity to jet off to a Costa Rican jungle with other fame-starved no-names like Geraldo Rivera for I’m a Celebrity! U.S. District Judge James Zagel just turned down the request by Blagojevich, according to reports in Chicago newspapers. “I don’t think this defendant in all honesty…fully understands the position he finds himself in,” Zagel said. Blagojevich still faces federal corruption charges.
Zagel believes it to be a bad idea to modify the terms of Blagojevich’s bail to allow him to travel to Central America. He said the governor should stay in the U.S. and review the government evidence against him so he will be better able to understand the jeopardy he is in.
Previously, Blagojevich hinted that his participation in the reality show was a bit dubious. “It’s not my first choice, but it’s a living,” he said. Better than auctioneer of Senate seats, I wonder?
Therefore, the best idea of the week goes to U.S. Judge Zagel for denying Illinois’ ill-minded Blago a first-class ticket to beautiful Costa Rica and dirty reality TV cash.
You might like:
- 1,000th Michigan Business Lands Energy Incentives
- AvePoint Expanding In Richmond And Arlington County, Virginia
- Super Bowl 50 To Generate Over $220M For San Francisco Bay Area
- California, Illinois, Texas Lead The Charge Toward A Modernized Power Grid
- Valmiera Glass To Invest $90M In Georgia
- Grid Stars
- Indiana Electrical Grid Management Firm Adding 80+ Jobs
- Olympus Will Build National Service Center in Bartlett, TN
- Sustainable Corrugated Investing $15M In Georgia
- Rapid Growth Leads 2U To New Maryland HQ
- Icy Hot
- Illinois Is Top State For LEED Green Building
- Megabucks Park
- Daimler Trucks To Invest $22.7M In SC Freightliner Facilities
- Business Facilities LiveXchange Announces 2016 Keynote Panel