AREA’S LARGEST EMPLOYERS
- Harrah’s Ak-Chin Casino Resort
- Maricopa Unified School District
- City of Maricopa Government
- Fry’s Food Store
- Volkswagen Proving Grounds
- Ak-Chin Farms
- Legacy Traditional School
- Pinal Feeding Co. Inc.
- Sequoia Pathway Academy
- USDA Arid-Land Agricultural Research Center
- Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club
- Arizona Castings Inc.
- Electrical District 3
- University of Arizona Maricopa Agricultural Center
- Duke Golf Club at Rancho El Dorado
- Scott’s Miracle Gro
- Ace Hardware
- Banner Health Center
PROACTIVE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
Ak-Chin Indian Community is committed to economic diversification for long-term Community development and sustainability.
In addition to its industrial properties, farming activities, and Harrah’s Ak-Chin Casino, recent economic development has included the construction and expansion of a hotel tower, the purchase and improvement of the Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club, the rebuilding of the grocery, Vekol Market, and the construction of a family entertainment complex the UltraStar Multi-tainment Center at Ak-Chin Circle, which was completed in November 2012. With less than 900 tribal residing members, Ak-Chin is western Pinal County’s largest employer with 98% of its employees coming from off-Reservation.
A recent economic impact analysis documented the total output of Ak-Chin Indian Community at nearly $437 million for 2010. By comparison, the 2008 Arizona Super Bowl contributed a one-time $500.6 million impact while the Community’s economic activities are repeated year after year.*
While the Ak-Chin Indian Community is small with under 900 residents, it is the number one employer for the entire Pinal County region. 98% of its workforce comes from off-reservation, where there is an ample labor pool.
According to the 2010 US Census, the following are the population statistics for Ak-Chin and the surrounding communities:
- Ak-Chin Residents: 862
- City of Maricopa Residents: 43,482
- City of Casa Grande Residents: 48,571
- City of Queen Creek Residents: 26,361
- City of Chandler Residents: 237,161
Findings from a 2013 Labor Study conducted by Elliott Pollack & Co. for the City of Maricopa:
- 90% of Maricopa residents own their own homes, which facilitates workforce stability
- Nearly 89% of the City of Maricopa workforce has at least some college education with 46% having a bachelor’s or graduate degree
- Compared to the Greater Phoenix region relatively more work within high value-added industries such as manufacturing, finance and insurance, and medical professions
- 61% of the workforce that does not work in the City has looked for a job closer to home
- 85% of the workforce would leave their current company for a closer workplace
- 44% would consider changing their career if a local job presented an opportunity
- 73% of unemployed listed minimum salary ranges under $35,000*
TRANSPORTATION & THOROUGHFARE ACCESS
Santa Cruz Commerce Center, Adobe Office Suites and the Ak-Chin Regional Airport front the Maricopa-Casa Grande Highway (Highway 238) between the Cities of Maricopa and Casa Grande. These sites provide convenient access to the Phoenix-Tucson I-10 corridor and to the I-8 Yuma-San Diego entrance. Approximate distances are:
- 18 miles to Interstate 10 corridor
- 13.5 miles to Interstate 8 corridor
- 34 miles to Phoenix Int’l Sky Harbor Airport
- 8 miles to Highway 347
- 12 miles to Highway 84
The Union Pacific Railroad parallels the Maricopa-Casa Grande Highway and SR 238 from Casa Grande to Gila Bend. Currently, between 45 and 55 freight trains operate daily through Maricopa. Amtrak’s Orlando-Los Angeles Sunset Limited has a scheduled stop in Maricopa. The Amtrak station is located just east of the SR 347 crossing of the UPRR tracks.
The Ak-Chin Indian Community bought the Phoenix Regional Airport in 2006 and renamed it Ak-Chin Regional Airport. Renovations to the runway, taxiway, pilot visual aids, and FBO Building were completed in 2012. Additional improvements are now underway.
Sky Harbor Airport: The Commerce Center is about 34 miles from this international airport by surface travel and about 28 miles by air from Ak-Chin Regional Airport.