Global Market For Smart Cities To Reach $1,265.85 Billion By 2019
Posted by Heidi Schwartz
According to the report “Smart Cities Market – Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast, 2013 – 2019,” the global smart cities market is expected to reach a value of $1,265.85 billion by 2019, growing at a CAGR of 14.0% from 2013 to 2019. The increase in migration from rural to urban areas is the major factor responsible for the growth of smart cities market, globally.
North America was the largest contributor to the smart cities market and accounted for a share of 34.5% in 2012. This is mainly attributed to the increase in smart grid investments and upgrades in the water infrastructure and transportation sector. Consequently, the U.S. smart cities market is expected to reach a market size of $392.41 billion by 2019. Regional governments are taking steps towards reducing the carbon footprint by increasing the use of renewable energy resources. Governments in North America are currently working on an objective to accomplish the target of zero wastage of energy by the year 2020.
Among the different application categories, the smart transportation segment held the largest share of around 16% in 2012. This was due to the growing demand for advanced traffic management, building a superior environment and reducing the volume of delivery vehicles. At the same time, smart transportation links the modes of transport to improve the traffic flow in both urban and inter-urban networks. Smart transportation systems help minimize the economic burden of government by reducing traveling delays and fuel consumption rate.
Smart security is the fastest growing segment and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 15.0% during the forecast period from 2013 to 2019. One of the reasons for the growing popularity of smart security is that it avoids third party misuse by imposing high security requirements onto the used technology.
Some of the major players in smart cities market include Siemens AG, ABB Ltd., IBM Corporation, Hitachi Ltd., Alcatel-Lucent S.A., Honeywell international Inc., Alstom S.A., General Electric Company, Telefonaktiebolaget L. M. Ericsson, Cisco Systems Inc., Oracle Corporation and others.
You might like:
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment
- Eli Lilly and Company To Expand Indianapolis R&D Headquarters
- Business Report: Tennessee – DENSO Manufacturing Expanding in Maryville, TN
- Business Report – North Carolina: Growing Innovation Throughout The Tarheel State
- Business Report – California: Largest Solar Facility On Earth Goes Operational
- Alcoa Expands R&D Center Near Pittsburgh
- U.S. Innovation Hubs: Inventing the Future
- Logistics Networks Are Getting Back On Track
- Panama Canal: Bigger, Better and Ready to Rumble
- Bell Inc. To Invest $30M In Ohio Carton Manufacturing Facility
- NTN Driveshaft Adding 500+ Jobs in Indiana
- Business Facilities LiveXchange 2016 Registration Now Open