First Minister Of Scotland Opens Smarter Grid Solutions’ New York Office
Posted by Heidi Schwartz
Smarter Grid Solutions has opened its first U.S. office. At an event attended by the Rt Hon Alex Salmond MSP, First Minister of Scotland, the company signed global agreements with smart grid companies Silver Spring Networks and HEVO Power that will support future growth.
Headquartered in Glasgow, UK, Smarter Grid Solutions is at the forefront of smart grid technology. The company creates products that enable power companies and utilities to increase their existing grid capacity in order to connect more renewable energy and respond to the global rise in demand for electricity. The company is Europe’s leading vendor of Distributed Energy Resource (DER) integration solutions and has already won a contract with Con Edison to model and simulate microgrid applications for the New York metro area. In the UK, it works with five of the country’s six electricity distribution network operators.
Speaking at the opening, Mr Salmond, First Minister of Scotland, said:
“Smarter Grid Solutions is an excellent example of how a Scottish company can take pioneering research and create a successful, growing business overseas. The company is working to prepare the power grid for important changes, like the growth in electric vehicles and new ways to store greener energy.
“It’s fantastic to see Scottish companies take their knowledge and expertise around the globe….I witnessed Smarter Grid Solutions signing new deals and developing relationships with new customers. I wish them the best of luck as they continue to grow and expand.”
Dr. Bob Currie, Smarter Grid Solutions’ CTO and Co-Founder, said:
“In the short time we have been operating in New York, we have identified significant opportunities to accelerate our growth and have already started work with a number of prominent organizations in the smart grid sector. Our technology and solutions are being well received and leading to important new business relationships….”
The new office is situated within New York City’s Urban Future Lab, the city’s premiere clean and resilient technology incubator. It is the product of a partnership between NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering and The City and State of New York. Smarter Grid Solutions is the Lab’s first international tenant.
You might like:
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Eli Lilly and Company To Expand Indianapolis R&D Headquarters
- Business Report – North Carolina: Growing Innovation Throughout The Tarheel State
- Business Report: Tennessee – DENSO Manufacturing Expanding in Maryville, TN
- Business Report – California: Largest Solar Facility On Earth Goes Operational
- Alcoa Expands R&D Center Near Pittsburgh
- U.S. Innovation Hubs: Inventing the Future
- Logistics Networks Are Getting Back On Track
- Bell Inc. To Invest $30M In Ohio Carton Manufacturing Facility
- Panama Canal: Bigger, Better and Ready to Rumble
- NTN Driveshaft Adding 500+ Jobs in Indiana
- GE To Add 120 Jobs, Invest $7.4M In Iowa Manufacturing Facility