Pedal/Electric Vehicle Manufacturer Expands North Carolina Manufacturing, Opens West Coast Facility
Posted by Heidi Schwartz
Organic Transit, manufacturer of the ELFpedal/electric vehicle, has outgrown the old retail furniture store where it began in 2011 in downtown Durham, NC. With the move, the company will use sustainable design in the building renovation and implement a higher volume manufacturing process.
“We love the old building, and it was perfect for getting us into business,” said Rob Cotter, Organic Transit Founder and CEO, “But like Henry Ford realized 100 years ago, we need more room for a proper assembly line to increase our productivity.”
The company builds the ELF, a pedal and solar electric powered vehicle, which is the cleanest, most efficient vehicle commercially available. Organic Transit began taking orders after a January, 2013 KickStarter program. Since that time, more than 200 vehicles have been sold.
Organic Transit is also opening a San Jose manufacturing facility in partnership with Good Karma Bikes, a non-profit that trains homeless individuals to become bicycle mechanics.
“Interest in the ELF on the West Coast has been huge,” said Cotter. “Through this partnership, we’ll have an assembly plant to service customers in western states as well as give something back the local community.”
Cotter said the San Jose location will also be a base to make local deliveries of vehicles and act as a regional maintenance facility.
The ELF, legally a bicycle, can travel on bike paths and roads without a driver’s license. The vehicle is constructed of recycled or recyclable materials.
You might like:
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Eli Lilly and Company To Expand Indianapolis R&D Headquarters
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment
- Business Report: Tennessee – DENSO Manufacturing Expanding in Maryville, TN
- Business Report – California: Largest Solar Facility On Earth Goes Operational
- Business Report – North Carolina: Growing Innovation Throughout The Tarheel State
- Alcoa Expands R&D Center Near Pittsburgh
- U.S. Innovation Hubs: Inventing the Future
- Logistics Networks Are Getting Back On Track
- Panama Canal: Bigger, Better and Ready to Rumble
- Bell Inc. To Invest $30M In Ohio Carton Manufacturing Facility
- Business Facilities LiveXchange 2016 Registration Now Open
- The Tree Pods are Coming