May/June 2013 Issue (Volume 46, Number 3)
First Word | The Shape Of Things To Come
Snapshots: 60 Seconds | with Eric Borgerding, Executive Vice President, Wisconsin Hospital Association.
Business Report: West Virginia – Marcellus Shale Brings Italy Closer To WV | Find out how the energy bonanza from drilling in the Marcellus Shale formation is bringing manufacturers to West Virginia from near and far.
Cover Story: Advanced Manufacturing – Creating Jobs In Three Dimensions | Join us as we explore the brave new world of 3D printing, which is moving out of the labs and into the marketplace as fast as you can, well, “print” a finished part from a downloaded design. Get the skinny on the new technology that promises to revolutionize manufacturing worldwide.
Feature Story: Logistics Clusters – Magnets For Growth | Logistics clusters are getting bigger while global supply chains are shrinking. Go figure. Actually, these two trends are related responses to the same dynamic: the need to get product to customer faster than ever.
Business Report: Maryland – Mega Data Hub For Feds | The Social Security Administration has finally broken ground for its new $192-million data center in Urbana, which will replace a 34-year-old facility.
Business Report: Iowa – Doubling Down On Wind Power | MidAmerican Energy is investing $1.9 billion in new capacity, adding 1,050 megawatts by 2015.
Business Report: Minnesota – Fortune 500 Firms Flock | The tally for Fortune 500 firms calling the Land of the Lakes home is now 19, including giants UnitedHealth Group, Target and Best Buy.
Special Report: The Carolinas Are Bringing The Business | A Recession that sent employment below sea level is just a bad memory as the recovery begins to rock in these two coastal cousins.
Business Report: Wisconsin – Partners With Energy To Grow | Wisconsin Wind Works has put together a consortium of 300 vendors and suppliers to the wind energy industry in the Badger State.
Industry Focus: More Than Just Production And Plating | It’s all you can eat as we serve up a hefty portion of the most dynamic food processing locations we can find across the fruited plain.
Special Report: Devens – Secret Weapon In The Battle For Business | A 4,400-acre former military base in the heart of Massachusetts is helping startups and industry leaders succeed and conquer. Join this tour of Devens, a unique place to live and work.
Business Report: Tennessee – Alcoa Expands Auto Sheet Operation In Blount County | The metals giant is counting on a fourfold increase in the amount of aluminum in cars by 2015 to keep its expanding Blount County facility running at full capacity.
Business Report: Arkansas – Dassault Invests $60 Million In Little Rock Expansion | Dassault Falcon Jet is introducing 3D design at its Arkansas production facility, investing $60 million in an expansion that will grow the plant to 1.25 million square feet.
Special Report: Critical Site Location Factors For Automotive Suppliers | Mark Williams, president of Strategic Development Group and a perennial LiveXchange speaker gives the lowdown on the key factors that go into site selection for automotive OEMs and suppliers.
Feature Story: Thailand – Nuanced Nation, One-Stop Shop | When we sent correspondent Bill Trüb to the other side of the planet, we knew he’d return with a fresh look at an exotic, emerging economic power. Sit back and enjoy Bill’s informative, entertaining first person account of his tour.
Inside LiveXchange: LiveXchange Review | Disasters—natural and man-made—were a common theme at this year’s event. Here are highlights from two of the more provocative presentations.
To subscribe to BF, visit this link.
You might like:
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Eli Lilly and Company To Expand Indianapolis R&D Headquarters
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment
- Business Report: Tennessee – DENSO Manufacturing Expanding in Maryville, TN
- Business Report – California: Largest Solar Facility On Earth Goes Operational
- Business Report – North Carolina: Growing Innovation Throughout The Tarheel State
- Alcoa Expands R&D Center Near Pittsburgh
- U.S. Innovation Hubs: Inventing the Future
- Logistics Networks Are Getting Back On Track
- Panama Canal: Bigger, Better and Ready to Rumble
- Bell Inc. To Invest $30M In Ohio Carton Manufacturing Facility
- Business Facilities LiveXchange 2016 Registration Now Open
- The Tree Pods are Coming
Topic Tags: BF-May/June-2013