Dodge Momentum Index Up For Sixth Straight Month In May
Posted by Heidi Schwartz
The Dodge Momentum Index rose 3.6% in May from the previous month, according to McGraw Hill Construction, a division of McGraw Hill Financial. The Momentum Index has risen for six consecutive months, the longest period of increases since 2006. The index now rests at 117.4 and is up 3.6% since May of 2012. The uncertainty surrounding new development appears, for now, to have dissipated, and the climate for nonresidential building projects is gaining strength as the planning pipeline grows more active.
In contrast to prior months, the May advance for the Momentum Index was largely the result of a strong upturn by its institutional segment. New plans for institutional buildings rose 10.2% in May, bolstered by plans for several college and hospital-related projects.
Among the larger healthcare developments to enter planning in May were the $135 million University Hospital Patient Tower in West Chester, OH and the $120 million INOVA Comprehensive Cancer and Research Institute in Fairfax, VA.
The largest institutional project overall to enter the planning phase in May was a $450 million/300,000 square foot casino project in Milford, MA. Advancement for this project is still dependent on voter approval, however.
Meanwhile, the commercial segment took a pause in May, receding 1.6% from April. A dip in office-related planning projects weighed on the commercial component of the index, while retail development continued to gain strength.
You might like:
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment
- Eli Lilly and Company To Expand Indianapolis R&D Headquarters
- Business Report: Tennessee – DENSO Manufacturing Expanding in Maryville, TN
- Business Report – North Carolina: Growing Innovation Throughout The Tarheel State
- Business Report – California: Largest Solar Facility On Earth Goes Operational
- Alcoa Expands R&D Center Near Pittsburgh
- U.S. Innovation Hubs: Inventing the Future
- Logistics Networks Are Getting Back On Track
- Panama Canal: Bigger, Better and Ready to Rumble
- Bell Inc. To Invest $30M In Ohio Carton Manufacturing Facility
- Business Facilities LiveXchange 2016 Registration Now Open
- The Tree Pods are Coming