New Texas Power Plant Brings Investment, Jobs To Harlingen, TX
Posted by Heidi Schwartz
Construction is expected to begin early next year on the new La Paloma Power Plant, to be located in the Harlingen Industrial Park in Harlingen, TX. At its peak, the enormous $650 million project will have more than six hundred workers on site, with most of the work force to be recruited locally. The plant is being developed by Coronado Power Ventures, LLC and Bechtel.
Robert Deatherage, Vice President and Industrial Relations Manager for Becon Construction Company, is general contractor for the La Paloma Power Plant project. Deatherage met with Harlingen EDC, Cameron County Workforce Solutions and Texas State Technical College executives to discuss employment and training of the customized work force needed for success of the project.
“It’s the start of a long and exciting project which will provide enough energy to interest additional manufacturers and other heavy power users,” says Raudel Garza, CEO, Harlingen EDC. “The first step involves survey and environmental crews, with human resource personnel to begin the hiring process by the end of 2013.”
Jobs to be filled will include site preparation workers, carpenters, iron workers, concrete finishers, pipe fitters, welders, and electricians as well as administrative, mechanical, electrical and industrial personnel. Project construction is expected to take nearly two and a half years.
“With a young, abundant and trainable workforce, and a low cost of living, in addition to our pro-business environment and quality of place, it makes sense for this project and other businesses to locate facilities in Harlingen,” stated Rick Ledesma, HEDC Board Chariman.
You might like:
- 1,000th Michigan Business Lands Energy Incentives
- California, Illinois, Texas Lead The Charge Toward A Modernized Power Grid
- Super Bowl 50 To Generate Over $220M For San Francisco Bay Area
- AvePoint Expanding In Richmond And Arlington County, Virginia
- Grid Stars
- Valmiera Glass To Invest $90M In Georgia
- Indiana Electrical Grid Management Firm Adding 80+ Jobs
- Sustainable Corrugated Investing $15M In Georgia
- Olympus Will Build National Service Center in Bartlett, TN
- Rapid Growth Leads 2U To New Maryland HQ
- Icy Hot
- Illinois Is Top State For LEED Green Building
- Megabucks Park
- Business Facilities LiveXchange Announces 2016 Keynote Panel
- Daimler Trucks To Invest $22.7M In SC Freightliner Facilities