Cellular Dynamics International Opens Facility In Novato, CA
Cellular Dynamics International (CDI) has announced that the company is opening a facility in Novato, CA, leasing space from the Buck Institute for Research on Aging. This opening of a second CDI facility is in response to the company receiving a $16 million grant award from the California Institute of Regenerative Medicine (CIRM) to create and bank human induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs). CDI is a leading commercial producer of human induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) lines and tissue cells for drug discovery, safety, stem cell banking and cellular therapeutics.
Tom Novak, Ph.D., vice president of strategic partnerships at CDI, said, “Our location in the Buck Institute, with its focus on improving human ‘healthspan’ and researching age-related disease, is a great opportunity for us to interact and collaborate with the top academic scientists in the field. We see this as a great opportunity to draw top talent to CDI’s second location.”
CDI signed a lease for up to five-years in the Buck Institute’s partially CIRM-funded stem cell research building. A portion of the space will be subleased to the Coriell Institute for Medical Research to construct a stem cell bank, an activity for which CDI is a subcontractor.
“The CIRM grants provide CDI with the funding to build, with our partner Coriell, the premier iPSC bank,” said Bob Palay, CDI Chief Executive Officer. “We are excited to be working with the Buck Institute, constructing our stem cell derivation laboratories as well as the stem cell bank within their world class facilities.”
You might like:
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Eli Lilly and Company To Expand Indianapolis R&D Headquarters
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment
- Business Report: Tennessee – DENSO Manufacturing Expanding in Maryville, TN
- Business Report – California: Largest Solar Facility On Earth Goes Operational
- Business Report – North Carolina: Growing Innovation Throughout The Tarheel State
- Alcoa Expands R&D Center Near Pittsburgh
- U.S. Innovation Hubs: Inventing the Future