Research Organization Biotrial To Establish HQ In Newark, NJ
Representatives from architecture firm Francis Cauffman have announced that the city of Newark, NJ has approved its design for French company Biotrial’s new North American headquarters in Newark’s University Heights Science Park. This district is part of Newark Mayor Cory Booker’s urban redevelopment initiative and Biotrial will join other biomedical organizations and five universities in the Science Park.
Francis Cauffman has completed the master plan for Biotrial and expects to break ground on Phase 1 in spring 2013. The first phase will consist of a five-story, 70,000-square-foot building. Biotrial is expected to move into its headquarters in early 2014.
Biotrial’s North American headquarters continues the trend of biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies migrating to Newark as a place that is bridging the gap between medical research and treatment. Fifteen of the world’s 25 largest pharmaceutical companies have facilities in New Jersey.
Mayor Booker has been promoting the Science Park to attract science and research companies and university programs. This is part of an initiative, started in 1996 and now gaining momentum, to develop higher education opportunities and spur economic growth in Newark. Biotrial’s new offices will establish 100 permanent jobs and provide 150-200 construction jobs.
Mayor Booker stated, “Newark is proud that Biotrial is joining the wave of companies from all around the world building their national and international headquarters in our City. Biotrial is bringing economic development to Newark on all fronts: medical research and innovation, construction jobs, and 100 permanent jobs. Biotrial will benefit from its close proximity to Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences and to NJIT. This potential partnership between Newark’s research institutions and Biotrial will help to expand biomedical and high-tech research and development opportunities in our great City.”
Over the last year, Biotrial has been establishing relationships with local medical and academic institutions in Science Park and is currently putting into place a strong partnership with The University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ), “Biotrial has a long history of close and efficient collaboration with well-established neighboring institutions and views these alliances as essential elements to the community. In addition, we look forward to having our own building, designed specifically for our needs, in order to anchor our presence in Newark for years to come,” said Jean-Marc Gandon, CEO of Biotrial.
You might like:
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment
- Eli Lilly and Company To Expand Indianapolis R&D Headquarters
- Business Report: Tennessee – DENSO Manufacturing Expanding in Maryville, TN
- Business Report – North Carolina: Growing Innovation Throughout The Tarheel State
- Business Report – California: Largest Solar Facility On Earth Goes Operational
- Alcoa Expands R&D Center Near Pittsburgh
- U.S. Innovation Hubs: Inventing the Future
- Logistics Networks Are Getting Back On Track
- Panama Canal: Bigger, Better and Ready to Rumble
- Bell Inc. To Invest $30M In Ohio Carton Manufacturing Facility
- NTN Driveshaft Adding 500+ Jobs in Indiana
- GE To Add 120 Jobs, Invest $7.4M In Iowa Manufacturing Facility