Meritor Announces Investment in Plainfield, IN Facility
On November 14, 2012, executives at Meritor, Inc. announced that the company plans to consolidate its North American remanufacturing operations and create a center of excellence in Plainfield, IN. The company should be in a position to transfer production operations from its remanufacturing plant in Mississauga, ON, Canada by March 31, 2013. At the same time, it expects to move Canadian customer service and support to its Brampton, ON facility.
As a result of these actions, Meritor anticipates investing approximately $1.4 million in its Plainfield facility while creating approximately 82 new jobs during 2012 and 2013. The company has already invested more than $8 million in process upgrades to its global operations in the past five years, including $2.7 million earlier this year in new equipment for its Plainfield plant, which remanufactures commercial truck components while preserving raw materials.
“We believe this investment will help us improve efficiency while better serving our customers in today’s competitive landscape,” said Doug Wolma, general manager, Global Aftermarket Operations. “At the same time, this move will strengthen our global remanufacturing footprint.”
Meritor’s global remanufacturing operations currently include eight sites in five countries producing a portfolio of drivetrain and wheel-end components. More than 30,000 tons of metal are recycled annually in Meritor’s remanufacturing operations worldwide, and the company recycles 90 percent of all waste from its operations. More than 40,000 tons of cores, or original components, are processed at Meritor remanufacturing facilities annually.
You might like:
- Feature Story: Georgia Governor’s Report – Georgia’s High-Powered Growth Engine
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment