General Motors is hiring software developers, project managers, database experts, business analysts, and other information technology professionals to staff the first of several new IT Innovation Centers in the U.S. intended to drive breakthrough ideas into GM vehicles and business processes globally. Austin was chosen for an Innovation Center because the city already has people with the skills GM is seeking: 46,000, according to the May 2011 Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Employment Report.
“We want IT to keep up with the imagination of our GM business partners, and to do that, we plan to rebalance the employment model over the next three years so that the majority of our IT work is done by GM employees focused on extending new capabilities that further enable our business,” GM Chief Information Officer Randy Mott said.
“The next generation of IT workers, the talented visionaries we want contributing at the Innovation Center, are being trained at top computer science schools in Texas and surrounding states,” Mott said. “The IT Innovation Centers are critical to our overall IT business strategy and transformation. We anticipate hiring as many as 500 new GM employees in Austin.”
GM already has more than 4,500 employees in Texas, including about 1,800 at GM Financial locations. Approximately 2,500 people build Chevrolet, GMC, and Cadillac SUVs in Arlington, where a recently announced third shift will start in the first quarter of 2013. In addition, a new $200 million stamping plant is under construction that will create or retain approximately 180 jobs. Two Customer Call Centers are based in the state, and GM is a corporate partner in the Pecan Street sustainable living project in Austin.
You might like:
- 1,000th Michigan Business Lands Energy Incentives
- California, Illinois, Texas Lead The Charge Toward A Modernized Power Grid
- AvePoint Expanding In Richmond And Arlington County, Virginia
- Super Bowl 50 To Generate Over $220M For San Francisco Bay Area
- Grid Stars
- Valmiera Glass To Invest $90M In Georgia
- Indiana Electrical Grid Management Firm Adding 80+ Jobs
- Sustainable Corrugated Investing $15M In Georgia
- Illinois Is Top State For LEED Green Building
- Olympus Will Build National Service Center in Bartlett, TN
- Rapid Growth Leads 2U To New Maryland HQ
- Icy Hot
- Walking the Walk: Innovation Summit
- Business Facilities LiveXchange Announces 2016 Keynote Panel
- Daimler Trucks To Invest $22.7M In SC Freightliner Facilities