PetSmart Plans Distribution Center for Berks County, PA
Gov. Tom Corbett has announced that PetSmart Inc., a national retailer with more than 1,200 stores, will locate its new distribution center in Bethel Township, Berks County, PA and create at least 500 jobs.
“As Governor, it is my priority to bring economic prosperity backto Pennsylvania by growing private sector jobs,” Corbett said. “Bringing projects like PetSmart’s distribution center to our state is adding jobs and having a positive economic impact on local communities.”
PetSmart will construct an 870,000-square-foot distribution center in Berks Park 78, a new industrial park located in Bethel Township. The company will start construction on the $50 million distribution center in the fall of 2012, with completion expected in the first quarter of 2014. The project is expected to create at least 500 new jobs by 2016.
The company received a $2.3 million funding offer from the Department of Community and Economic Development, including a $1 million PA First grant, $245,250 in job training assistance and $1.09 million in Job Creation Tax Credits.
“Bethel presented itself as an ideal location for our new distribution center, and we are excited to become an active part of this community,” PetSmart Senior Vice President of Supply Chain Eddie Burt said. “The construction of this new facility and the jobs it’s creating is just the beginning of our vibrant partnership with the town of Bethel.”
The project was coordinated by the Governor’s Action Team, a group of economic development professionals who work directly with businesses that are considering locating or expanding in Pennsylvania. The Governor’s Action Team worked with the Berks County Industrial Development Authority to bring PetSmart’s new distribution facility to Pennsylvania.
“We are doubly blessed to have another wonderful company like PetSmart coming to Berks Park 78,” Berks County Industrial Development Authority Executive Director Thomas McKeon said. “What a terrific addition they make to our community’s resume. Once again credit goes to our winning team of professionals and local public officials. They’ve made Berks Park 78 fertile ground for the private investment, jobs and the economic prosperity we all desire.”
PetSmart Inc. is the largest specialty pet retailer of products, services, and solutions for pets. The company employs approximately 50,000 associates and operates more than 1,241 pet stores in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico, over 194 in-store PetSmart® PetsHotel® dog and cat boarding facilities and is a leading online provider of pet supplies and pet care information.
You might like:
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment
- Eli Lilly and Company To Expand Indianapolis R&D Headquarters
- Business Report: Tennessee – DENSO Manufacturing Expanding in Maryville, TN
- Business Report – North Carolina: Growing Innovation Throughout The Tarheel State
- Business Report – California: Largest Solar Facility On Earth Goes Operational
- Alcoa Expands R&D Center Near Pittsburgh
- U.S. Innovation Hubs: Inventing the Future
- Logistics Networks Are Getting Back On Track
- Panama Canal: Bigger, Better and Ready to Rumble
- Bell Inc. To Invest $30M In Ohio Carton Manufacturing Facility
- Business Facilities LiveXchange 2016 Registration Now Open
- The Tree Pods are Coming