FIRST WORD: Great Expectations
From the May/June 2012 issue
Sometimes things don’t work out exactly the way you’ve planned them. When we sat down at our editorial calendar meeting last year and set the lineup for the May/June issue, we assumed that our annual look at the biotech sector would reveal a steadily expanding universe of start-ups.
We also thought waves of economic recovery emanating from the U.S. would be coming ashore in Europe. We wondered whether a federal consolidation of government data centers—now impacting more than 1,200 facilities—might turn our industry focus of this sector into a crisis report.
Well, it turns out that the biotech playing field is leveling, Europe is in crisis and the data center industry is growing by gigabytes. Go figure.
Which tells us that it’s more important than ever to stay current on the latest twists and turns of the economic development saga. Yesterday’s winners may be tomorrow’s losers. The only constant is change. We’ll do our best to keep you up to speed.
This month, we also unveil our comprehensive survey of the leading utilities. The survey generated two Regional Powerhouses and six Top Utilities. All of the utilities who earned our new annual designations are plugged into the heart of economic development efforts in their regions.
We invite you to turn the page and see which of these power players are burning the midnight oil and putting a jolt into job creation.
Editor in Chief
You might like:
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment
- Eli Lilly and Company To Expand Indianapolis R&D Headquarters
- Business Report: Tennessee – DENSO Manufacturing Expanding in Maryville, TN
- Business Report – North Carolina: Growing Innovation Throughout The Tarheel State
- Business Report – California: Largest Solar Facility On Earth Goes Operational
- Alcoa Expands R&D Center Near Pittsburgh
- U.S. Innovation Hubs: Inventing the Future
- Logistics Networks Are Getting Back On Track
- Panama Canal: Bigger, Better and Ready to Rumble
- Bell Inc. To Invest $30M In Ohio Carton Manufacturing Facility
- Business Facilities LiveXchange 2016 Registration Now Open
- NTN Driveshaft Adding 500+ Jobs in Indiana