Sears May Close 120 Stores After Sluggish Holiday Sales
Sears Holdings reported a sharp drop in holiday sales compared to a year ago and said the results will force it to close 100 to 120 Sears and Kmart stores, CNNMoney reports.
The stores to be closed have yet to be identified. The company is one of the nation’s largest retailers with more than 4,000 stores in the United States and Canada. Sears Holdings said sales at stores open at least a year, known as same-store sales, dropped 5.2 percent in the eight weeks leading to Christmas, including a 4.4 percent drop in sales at Kmart stores and a 6 percent drop in sales at domestic Sears stores.
Shares of Sears Holdings nosedived $8.29, or nearly 19% to $37.56 in early trading Tuesday. Shares are now down almost 50% year-to-date.
You might like:
- Feature Story: Georgia Governor’s Report – Georgia’s High-Powered Growth Engine 3053 Views
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings 1895 Views
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners 1755 Views
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders 1736 Views
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment 1708 Views