Smithfield Foods Plans $85-Million Expansion in Kinston, NC
Smithfield Foods Inc., one of the largest private employers in eastern North Carolina, will be adding a new product line of packaged meats as part of its expansion of a Smithfield Packing Co. facility in Kinston. The expansion will create 330 new jobs with an investment of $85.5 million over the next three years, according to a statement from Gov. Beverly Perdue’s office.
The governor has awarded a $700,000 grant from the One North Carolina Fund to Smithfield Packing Co. to help finance the expansion. The grant must also be matched by a local government to qualify, and according to a report in the Kinston Free Press newspaper, the Lenoir County Board of Commissioners unanimously approved an economic development incentives package for Smithfield Foods at a special meeting on Nov. 9. Details of the county’s incentive package were not available.
Annual salaries for the new Smithfield Foods jobs created will average $27,644 plus benefits, which is below the Lenoir County average annual wage of $29,276.
Smithfield Packing Co., which is a subsidiary of Smithfield Foods, operates the existing Kinston facility. Its primary lines of business include production of fresh pork, smoked meats, bacon, cooked hams, and hot dogs for retail, food-service and deli channels. In addition to the Smithfield brand, its other food brands include Gwaltney, Esskay and Cumberland Gap. Smithfield Packaging exports products to about 30 countries.
You might like:
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment
- Eli Lilly and Company To Expand Indianapolis R&D Headquarters
- Business Report: Tennessee – DENSO Manufacturing Expanding in Maryville, TN
- Business Report – California: Largest Solar Facility On Earth Goes Operational
- Business Report – North Carolina: Growing Innovation Throughout The Tarheel State
- Alcoa Expands R&D Center Near Pittsburgh
- U.S. Innovation Hubs: Inventing the Future
- Logistics Networks Are Getting Back On Track
- Panama Canal: Bigger, Better and Ready to Rumble
- Bell Inc. To Invest $30M In Ohio Carton Manufacturing Facility
- Business Facilities LiveXchange 2016 Registration Now Open
- The Tree Pods are Coming