A new strategic plan developed by the Finger Lakes (NY) Regional Economic Development Council is targeting energy and sustainability manufacturing projects. The plan will allocate up for $40 million in start-up funding from the state, with additional millions available through grant programs, according to a report in the Messenger Post.
Of the 10 priority projects that are part of the strategic plan, a number are manufacturing-focused, including: a biofuel-generating plant at Eastman Business Park; a test center for New York-Battery and Energy Storage Technology; expansion at the Golisano Institute for Sustainability at the Rochester Institute of Technology; and expansion of the Seneca AgBio Green Energy Park.
Home to Kodak and Bausch and Lomb, the Rochester/Finger Lakes region has a long history as a manufacturing and technology center.
“It was a great experience to see nine counties come together and speak as one voice for a region,” said Farmington Supervisor Ted Fafinski, one of two representatives from Ontario County on the council.
The five-year plan aims to create up to 7,000 jobs, spanning a number of industries that include life sciences, agriculture and tourism. Mark Peterson, chief executive officer of Greater Rochester Enterprise, said the council’s plan builds on existing strengths of the region.
“We have a highly educated, highly skilled workforce,” said Peterson, a member of the two-year standing council. “It’s not surprising that technology and advanced manufacturing continue to be both the past, present and future of this region.”
You might like:
- Business Report: Illinois Leaders Form Non-Profit to Spur Job Creation
- Flex-N-Gate To Create Up To 650 Jobs In Detroit
- Industry Focus: Aerospace Sector Is Flying High Again
- Data Cowboys
- Leading FDI Experts Analyze Global Trends At LiveXchange
- Kansas City Launches “Smart City” Initiative
- Chicago Celebrates Technology Startup Hub Expansion, 700 New Tech Jobs
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries HQ Moving To Texas
- Shopping Bag Manufacturer Creating 100 Jobs In Georgia
- Michigan Hot Dog Maker To Expand, Hire 140 Workers
- Salesforce To Grow Regional HQ, Add 800 Jobs In Indiana
- Automotive Parts Supplier Expanding In Indiana
- Last Chance
- Advanced Manufacturing Industry: Dynamic Advancements
- Two-Way Street
- SATA Group Building New Plant In Texas
- Insitu To Open Commercial UAS Facility At MSU