Finger Lakes Targets Energy, Sustainable Manufacturing
A new strategic plan developed by the Finger Lakes (NY) Regional Economic Development Council is targeting energy and sustainability manufacturing projects. The plan will allocate up for $40 million in start-up funding from the state, with additional millions available through grant programs, according to a report in the Messenger Post.
Of the 10 priority projects that are part of the strategic plan, a number are manufacturing-focused, including: a biofuel-generating plant at Eastman Business Park; a test center for New York-Battery and Energy Storage Technology; expansion at the Golisano Institute for Sustainability at the Rochester Institute of Technology; and expansion of the Seneca AgBio Green Energy Park.
Home to Kodak and Bausch and Lomb, the Rochester/Finger Lakes region has a long history as a manufacturing and technology center.
“It was a great experience to see nine counties come together and speak as one voice for a region,” said Farmington Supervisor Ted Fafinski, one of two representatives from Ontario County on the council.
The five-year plan aims to create up to 7,000 jobs, spanning a number of industries that include life sciences, agriculture and tourism. Mark Peterson, chief executive officer of Greater Rochester Enterprise, said the council’s plan builds on existing strengths of the region.
“We have a highly educated, highly skilled workforce,” said Peterson, a member of the two-year standing council. “It’s not surprising that technology and advanced manufacturing continue to be both the past, present and future of this region.”
You might like:
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment
- Eli Lilly and Company To Expand Indianapolis R&D Headquarters
- Business Report: Tennessee – DENSO Manufacturing Expanding in Maryville, TN
- Business Report – North Carolina: Growing Innovation Throughout The Tarheel State
- Business Report – California: Largest Solar Facility On Earth Goes Operational
- Alcoa Expands R&D Center Near Pittsburgh
- U.S. Innovation Hubs: Inventing the Future
- Logistics Networks Are Getting Back On Track
- Panama Canal: Bigger, Better and Ready to Rumble
- Bell Inc. To Invest $30M In Ohio Carton Manufacturing Facility
- Business Facilities LiveXchange 2016 Registration Now Open
- The Tree Pods are Coming