A new strategic plan developed by the Finger Lakes (NY) Regional Economic Development Council is targeting energy and sustainability manufacturing projects. The plan will allocate up for $40 million in start-up funding from the state, with additional millions available through grant programs, according to a report in the Messenger Post.
Of the 10 priority projects that are part of the strategic plan, a number are manufacturing-focused, including: a biofuel-generating plant at Eastman Business Park; a test center for New York-Battery and Energy Storage Technology; expansion at the Golisano Institute for Sustainability at the Rochester Institute of Technology; and expansion of the Seneca AgBio Green Energy Park.
Home to Kodak and Bausch and Lomb, the Rochester/Finger Lakes region has a long history as a manufacturing and technology center.
“It was a great experience to see nine counties come together and speak as one voice for a region,” said Farmington Supervisor Ted Fafinski, one of two representatives from Ontario County on the council.
The five-year plan aims to create up to 7,000 jobs, spanning a number of industries that include life sciences, agriculture and tourism. Mark Peterson, chief executive officer of Greater Rochester Enterprise, said the council’s plan builds on existing strengths of the region.
“We have a highly educated, highly skilled workforce,” said Peterson, a member of the two-year standing council. “It’s not surprising that technology and advanced manufacturing continue to be both the past, present and future of this region.”
You might like:
- 1,000th Michigan Business Lands Energy Incentives
- California, Illinois, Texas Lead The Charge Toward A Modernized Power Grid
- AvePoint Expanding In Richmond And Arlington County, Virginia
- Super Bowl 50 To Generate Over $220M For San Francisco Bay Area
- Grid Stars
- Valmiera Glass To Invest $90M In Georgia
- Indiana Electrical Grid Management Firm Adding 80+ Jobs
- Sustainable Corrugated Investing $15M In Georgia
- Rapid Growth Leads 2U To New Maryland HQ
- Olympus Will Build National Service Center in Bartlett, TN
- Illinois Is Top State For LEED Green Building
- Icy Hot
- Walking the Walk: Innovation Summit
- Business Facilities LiveXchange Announces 2016 Keynote Panel
- Daimler Trucks To Invest $22.7M In SC Freightliner Facilities