A new strategic plan developed by the Finger Lakes (NY) Regional Economic Development Council is targeting energy and sustainability manufacturing projects. The plan will allocate up for $40 million in start-up funding from the state, with additional millions available through grant programs, according to a report in the Messenger Post.
Of the 10 priority projects that are part of the strategic plan, a number are manufacturing-focused, including: a biofuel-generating plant at Eastman Business Park; a test center for New York-Battery and Energy Storage Technology; expansion at the Golisano Institute for Sustainability at the Rochester Institute of Technology; and expansion of the Seneca AgBio Green Energy Park.
Home to Kodak and Bausch and Lomb, the Rochester/Finger Lakes region has a long history as a manufacturing and technology center.
“It was a great experience to see nine counties come together and speak as one voice for a region,” said Farmington Supervisor Ted Fafinski, one of two representatives from Ontario County on the council.
The five-year plan aims to create up to 7,000 jobs, spanning a number of industries that include life sciences, agriculture and tourism. Mark Peterson, chief executive officer of Greater Rochester Enterprise, said the council’s plan builds on existing strengths of the region.
“We have a highly educated, highly skilled workforce,” said Peterson, a member of the two-year standing council. “It’s not surprising that technology and advanced manufacturing continue to be both the past, present and future of this region.”
You might like:
- Advanced Manufacturing Industry: Dynamic Advancements
- Thomson Reuters Expanding Texas Operations
- Data Cowboys
- Amazon.com Expanding In New Jersey
- ChartSpan Bringing 300 Jobs To South Carolina
- GM Investing Over $788M, Creating 781 Jobs In Tennessee
- Cover Story: Global Biotech Report
- B. Braun To Add 175 Jobs In Florida
- Airbus Expanding In Virginia
- Duo Security, Inc. Adding 300 Jobs In Michigan
- Allergan Breaks Ground On $200M Texas Expansion
- Hankook Tire To Invest $5M, Move North American HQ To Tennessee
- OxyChem To Invest $145M In Louisiana Expansion
- Battle of the Box
- Third Phase Of Alabama Robotics Technology Park To Open Soon