North Dakota’s $157-Million Wind Project Gets Green Light
A $157 million wind project set to be built in central North Dakota has received a key regulatory approval, Wind Energy News reports. The Minnesota Public Utilities Commission has unanimously approved plans by utility Minnesota Power to invest in the 105-megawatt Bison 2 wind farm.
The facility is planned to be built beside the company’s Bison 1 wind farm, which is now under construction.
Construction could begin in 2012, with Minnesota Power telling the Commission that recent capital cost reductions for wind turbines and a “superior wind location”, along with federal tax credits, could help the facility meet Minnesota’s 25% by 2025 renewable energy mandate “cost-effectively”.
The Bison 2 wind farm is being designed to use 35 Siemens direct-drive wind turbines, with plans for the facility to deliver its power to Minnesota Power customers via the company’s direct current transmission line linking Center, North Dakota, with the Arrowhead Substation near Duluth, MN.
Minnesota Power serves around 144,000 customers and 16 municipalities in a 26,000 square mile area of northeastern Minnesota.
You might like:
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment
- Eli Lilly and Company To Expand Indianapolis R&D Headquarters
- Business Report: Tennessee – DENSO Manufacturing Expanding in Maryville, TN
- Business Report – North Carolina: Growing Innovation Throughout The Tarheel State
- Business Report – California: Largest Solar Facility On Earth Goes Operational
- Alcoa Expands R&D Center Near Pittsburgh
- U.S. Innovation Hubs: Inventing the Future
- Logistics Networks Are Getting Back On Track
- Panama Canal: Bigger, Better and Ready to Rumble
- Bell Inc. To Invest $30M In Ohio Carton Manufacturing Facility
- Business Facilities LiveXchange 2016 Registration Now Open
- The Tree Pods are Coming