National Solar Power Unveils $1.5-Billion Project in Florida
National Solar Power has announced it will build up to 20 solar energy farms in in Gadsden County, FL, investing about $1.5 billion to generate 400 megawatts of electricity at the sites.
National Solar Power says the project will be the largest in the Southeast. The concept is to build 20 solar farms on 200-acre sites across the largely rural North Florida county, with each farm producing 20 megawatts of energy. National Solar Power expects to break ground on the first site during the first three months of 2012. It is negotiating to buy and lease land, applying for environmental permits and securing financing.
Scrivener said the company likely will announce another project in Hardee County and ultimately hopes to build in other areas of the state. Gadsden County political leaders and state lawmakers joined company officials for Monday’s announcement.
“This is what you call smart growth and development,” Gadsden County Commission Chairwoman Sherrie Taylor said.
Scrivener said the project will be privately financed but that the company could seek state help with issues such as permitting and property taxes. He said officials met with Gov. Rick Scott, who indicated he would help speed up a Department of Environmental Protection permitting process.
You might like:
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment
- Eli Lilly and Company To Expand Indianapolis R&D Headquarters
- Business Report: Tennessee – DENSO Manufacturing Expanding in Maryville, TN
- Business Report – North Carolina: Growing Innovation Throughout The Tarheel State
- Business Report – California: Largest Solar Facility On Earth Goes Operational
- Alcoa Expands R&D Center Near Pittsburgh
- U.S. Innovation Hubs: Inventing the Future
- Logistics Networks Are Getting Back On Track
- Panama Canal: Bigger, Better and Ready to Rumble
- Bell Inc. To Invest $30M In Ohio Carton Manufacturing Facility
- Business Facilities LiveXchange 2016 Registration Now Open
- The Tree Pods are Coming