National Solar Power has announced it will build up to 20 solar energy farms in in Gadsden County, FL, investing about $1.5 billion to generate 400 megawatts of electricity at the sites.
National Solar Power says the project will be the largest in the Southeast. The concept is to build 20 solar farms on 200-acre sites across the largely rural North Florida county, with each farm producing 20 megawatts of energy. National Solar Power expects to break ground on the first site during the first three months of 2012. It is negotiating to buy and lease land, applying for environmental permits and securing financing.
Scrivener said the company likely will announce another project in Hardee County and ultimately hopes to build in other areas of the state. Gadsden County political leaders and state lawmakers joined company officials for Monday’s announcement.
“This is what you call smart growth and development,” Gadsden County Commission Chairwoman Sherrie Taylor said.
Scrivener said the project will be privately financed but that the company could seek state help with issues such as permitting and property taxes. He said officials met with Gov. Rick Scott, who indicated he would help speed up a Department of Environmental Protection permitting process.
You might like:
- 3D Systems Expanding In Tennessee
- Amazon Adding Two New Fulfillment Facilities In California
- Business Report: Illinois Leaders Form Non-Profit to Spur Job Creation
- Industry Focus: Aerospace Sector Is Flying High Again
- Data Cowboys
- Kansas City Launches “Smart City” Initiative
- Leading FDI Experts Analyze Global Trends At LiveXchange
- Michigan Hot Dog Maker To Expand, Hire 140 Workers
- Chicago Celebrates Technology Startup Hub Expansion, 700 New Tech Jobs
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries HQ Moving To Texas
- Last Chance
- Shopping Bag Manufacturer Creating 100 Jobs In Georgia
- Automotive Parts Supplier Expanding In Indiana
- Salesforce To Grow Regional HQ, Add 800 Jobs In Indiana
- State Focus: New York – Accelerating Biotech Innovation In The Empire State
- Advanced Manufacturing Industry: Dynamic Advancements
- Two-Way Street
- TeamHealth Expanding In Knoxville, TN