Planting Seeds for Growth
From the Desk of the Editor in Chief
This month, we take our annual look at the high-growth biotechnology sector. Usually, our biotech bonanza is chock full of good news, a welcome tonic to the uncertain outlook in other industries.
However, this year we must report that the nation’s still-teetering recovery is causing private investors to sit on their cash—even for breakthrough biotechnologies that promise to revolutionize medicine, agriculture and energy.
As seed money dries up, the leadership position of the U.S. in biotech is being threatened. We encourage venture capitalists to open their wallets and do their part to bring tomorrow’s miracle drugs and biofuels out of the labs and into the markets.
We also want to take a moment to give a shout-out to our friends in Tuscaloosa, AL and Joplin, MO, both of which were ravaged recently by mammoth tornadoes. Hundreds of people were killed and thousands of homes were demolished by these terrible storms, which generated winds approaching 200 m.p.h.
Our hearts ache for the victims, but we were cheered by numerous stories detailing incredible heroism in the face of certain death. As reported in this month’s Snapshots sidebar, the residents of these communities already have begun to rebuild, showing courage and resilience that is lifting the spirit of the nation.
We look forward to seeing Tuscaloosa and Joplin get back on their feet and come back bigger and better than ever.
You might like:
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment
- Eli Lilly and Company To Expand Indianapolis R&D Headquarters
- Business Report: Tennessee – DENSO Manufacturing Expanding in Maryville, TN
- Business Report – California: Largest Solar Facility On Earth Goes Operational
- Business Report – North Carolina: Growing Innovation Throughout The Tarheel State
- Alcoa Expands R&D Center Near Pittsburgh
- U.S. Innovation Hubs: Inventing the Future
- Logistics Networks Are Getting Back On Track
- Panama Canal: Bigger, Better and Ready to Rumble
- Bell Inc. To Invest $30M In Ohio Carton Manufacturing Facility
- Business Facilities LiveXchange 2016 Registration Now Open
- The Tree Pods are Coming