Hyundai Motor Co., South Korea’s largest automaker, will invest $173 million and create 214 jobs at its Montgomery, Alabama manufacturing site. Most of the capital investment, $163 million, will be spent on equipment and updated technology. The remaining $10 million will be used to expand the building to more than 360,000 square feet.
Construction is scheduled to be complete this fall, with production slated to begin in March 2012.
Robert Burns, the plant’s spokesman said that the expansion and upgrades will help increase the assembly of four cylinder, 1.8 liter “Nu” engines to be used in Elantra compact cars. The factory currently imports the Elantra engines from Korea.
Additionally, Hyundai will be able to fabricate more 2.4-liter and 2.0-liter turbo engines for the Sonata sedans—which are also built at the plant—as well as engines for Sorento and Hyundai Santa Fe sport utility vehicles made by company affiliate Kia Motors Corp. in West Point, GA.
So far this year, the Montgomery factory has produced 114,678 vehicles. It is projected to produce more than 330,000 vehicles this year, topping its stated annual capacity of 300,000.
You might like:
- 3D Systems Expanding In Tennessee
- Amazon Adding Two New Fulfillment Facilities In California
- Business Report: Illinois Leaders Form Non-Profit to Spur Job Creation
- Industry Focus: Aerospace Sector Is Flying High Again
- Data Cowboys
- Kansas City Launches “Smart City” Initiative
- Leading FDI Experts Analyze Global Trends At LiveXchange
- Chicago Celebrates Technology Startup Hub Expansion, 700 New Tech Jobs
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries HQ Moving To Texas
- Michigan Hot Dog Maker To Expand, Hire 140 Workers
- Shopping Bag Manufacturer Creating 100 Jobs In Georgia
- Last Chance
- Automotive Parts Supplier Expanding In Indiana
- Salesforce To Grow Regional HQ, Add 800 Jobs In Indiana
- Advanced Manufacturing Industry: Dynamic Advancements
- Two-Way Street
- State Focus: New York – Accelerating Biotech Innovation In The Empire State
- TeamHealth Expanding In Knoxville, TN