Pfizer Expanding in Boston, MA Area
Pfizer Inc. has announced will add 350 jobs in the Boston area and look for a new site to house a pair of research operations it will move from southeastern Connecticut, the Boston Globe reports.
The pharmaceutical giant also unveiled a restructuring plan that will cut global R&D by $1.5 billion, eliminating thousands of jobs around the world. However, despite these cutbacks, Pfizer will grow in Massachusetts, where it currently employs 2,300 workers at two research labs in Cambridge and a former Wyeth biotechnology plant in Andover.
“We have recognized that we want to have a very significant footprint in Massachusetts,” said J.C. Gutierrez Ramos, the Cambridge-based Pfizer senior vice president of biotherapeutics research and development. “This emphasizes Pfizer’s commitment to increase our interactions with the academic medical centers, our interactions with the biotechnology companies and entrepreneurs, with all of the stakeholders in biomedical research.”
Pfizer said it will 1,100 jobs in Groton, CN, about a quarter of its workforce there, and consolidate its neuroscience and cardiovascular metabolic research operations in the Boston area.
You might like:
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment
- Eli Lilly and Company To Expand Indianapolis R&D Headquarters
- Business Report: Tennessee – DENSO Manufacturing Expanding in Maryville, TN
- Business Report – North Carolina: Growing Innovation Throughout The Tarheel State
- Business Report – California: Largest Solar Facility On Earth Goes Operational
- Alcoa Expands R&D Center Near Pittsburgh
- U.S. Innovation Hubs: Inventing the Future
- Logistics Networks Are Getting Back On Track
- Panama Canal: Bigger, Better and Ready to Rumble
- Bell Inc. To Invest $30M In Ohio Carton Manufacturing Facility
- Business Facilities LiveXchange 2016 Registration Now Open
- NTN Driveshaft Adding 500+ Jobs in Indiana