From the Desk of the Editor in Chief
In October, our thoughts usually turn to ripe, juicy apples and autumn leaves that paint a multi-colored coda across the landscape. We can’t think of a better place to celebrate this annual ritual than Upstate New York.
Nestled among the scenic wonders along New York’s Hudson River is a cluster of initiatives that are making the Empire State the national leader in advanced high-tech manufacturing. This month, we focus on the crown jewel of New York’s Tech Valley: GlobalFoundries’ $4.2-billion Fab 8 semiconductor manufacturing facility at the Luther Forest Tech Campus in Malta, NY.
Rising above a former rocket-fuel test site is a 300,000-square-foot cleanroom soon to be packed with sophisticated tooling producing the most advanced microchips in the world, based on nanotechnology refined at the University of Albany’s $6.5-billion College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering. Components on GF microchips will be as small as 22 nanometers—much smaller than the period at the end of this sentence.
The synergistic harmony between the GF project and a multitude of R&D resources in the region is as spectacular as the fall foliage symphony in the surrounding woods. As President Obama declared during a recent visit to the region, all of the ingredients are present for a better future.
We invite you to take a bite out of this apple and savor the high-tech bumper crop being harvested in Upstate New York.
You might like:
- Thomson Reuters Expanding Texas Operations
- Advanced Manufacturing Industry: Dynamic Advancements
- State Focus – Kansas: The Sunflower State Is Blooming and Booming
- Feature Story: 2016 Economic Development Awards
- Automotive Industry Focus: Hitting On All Cylinders
- Cover Story: Global Biotech Report
- Race to a Smart Future
- DH Pace Company Expands Kansas HQ Facility
- Toyota Chooses Ann Arbor For Third U.S. Research Facility
- Heroic Efforts In California
- Water on the Brain
- Cape Coral Economic Development Office: Location Spotlight of the Week
- GM Investing Over $788M, Creating 781 Jobs In Tennessee
- Axiall, Lotte Invest $3 Billion in Louisiana Chemical Plants
- Monsanto To Invest $975M In Louisiana Expansion
- Auto Supply Manufacturer Adding 80 Jobs In Indiana
- $25 Million Pledged for Economic Development Partnership in Flint, Michigan Amid Water Crisis