Otero County, New Mexico
Opportunity in Southern New Mexico
One of the county’s strongest business assets is its reliable and non-transitory workforce; Otero also has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the state. The Otero County Economic Development Council (OCEDC) focuses on many types of industrial and retail opportunities. Although the county’s focus targets align primarily with renewable energies and aerospace/defense industries, the OCEDC staff stands ready to assist with all relocation needs.
Otero has a population of more than 63,000 people and a total area of 6,627 square miles. It is made up of 16 communities (many small and unincorporated) and tourism is one of its top industries. With the White Sands National Monument, New Mexico Museum of Space History, International Space Hall of Fame, Lincoln National Forest and the Mescalero Apache Indian Reservation, Otero County has New Mexico’s strongest, most versatile tourism product. The County’s fervent business attitude and infrastructure, balanced with a rich quality of life make it a place you can call home.
ALAMOGORDO: THE ECONOMIC CENTER
Alamogordo is the micropolitan center of the Tularosa Basin and the county seat of Otero County. The city offers a safe community and pristine scenery for a balanced life. With a motto of “the friendliest place on earth,” the thriving desert community is graced with a mild climate and abundant sunshine. It also houses a variety of services, activities and programs for its residents, including a regional medical center, zoo, and civic center.
Alamogordo’s strategic placement in the intersection of two major highways allows for easy and unobstructed access to major transportation routes including I-10 and I-25. It also is in close proximity to low-cost production areas in Mexico. Rail, motor freight, bus and air accessibility is available to meet any company’s needs. Home to Holloman Air Force Base, the area’s largest employer with the Air Force’s newest weapon systems—including the F-22A Raptor, the MQ-I and MQ-9 remotely piloted aircraft (unmanned systems) and the High Speed Test Track—it also has strong ties with neighbors at White Sands Missile Range.
Otero County’s extended growing season breeds a long tradition of farming, including the largest number of pistachio groves in New Mexico. Centrally located between several agricultural areas, Alamogordo is a perfect location for food processing facilities and other value added agriculture industries.
The basin is filled with a qualified and diverse workforce. A partnership with the local university offers opportunities for citizens and the business community alike. Seasoned and competitive construction contractors and service providers enhance the area and showcase Alamogordo’s proactive approach to developing business. With access to a low-cost industrial park, local and state incentives remain abundant to assist an existing company or those considering relocation. In addition to the city’s numerous properties, significant private lands are also available, with plenty of room to grow. A business friendly and family oriented community, Alamogordo is the preferred location of several companies, including 1-800-Flowers, PreCheck, Marietta Biscuits Company and Premier Pellets.
In recent years, many businesses across the country have relocated or established their operations “out-west”, and Alamogordo’s business-friendly attitude continues to create welcoming opportunities.
You might like:
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment
- Eli Lilly and Company To Expand Indianapolis R&D Headquarters
- Business Report: Tennessee – DENSO Manufacturing Expanding in Maryville, TN
- Business Report – North Carolina: Growing Innovation Throughout The Tarheel State
- Business Report – California: Largest Solar Facility On Earth Goes Operational
- Alcoa Expands R&D Center Near Pittsburgh
- U.S. Innovation Hubs: Inventing the Future
- Logistics Networks Are Getting Back On Track
- Panama Canal: Bigger, Better and Ready to Rumble
- Bell Inc. To Invest $30M In Ohio Carton Manufacturing Facility
- Business Facilities LiveXchange 2016 Registration Now Open
- The Tree Pods are Coming
Topic Tags: NM