The Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) announced its selection of Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley as Governor of the Year this week in recognition of his leadership and support of the biosciences industry. Gov. O’Malley received the award during the Wednesday Keynote Luncheon at the 2010 BIO International Convention in Chicago, IL.
“Governor O’Malley has done an exemplary job enhancing and expanding Maryland’s stature as one of the nation’s most vibrant biotech clusters. His funding and support of biotech tax credits is a model for federal legislation that supports critical early-stage capital formation. His leadership in this field will continue to benefit his state, in terms of jobs and innovation, for years to come,” said Jim Greenwood, President and CEO of BIO.
“The Governor has done an exemplary job in expanding Maryland’s traditional role as a home to innovation,” said Renée M. Winsky, Chief Executive Officer of the Technology Council of Maryland. “He has defined himself as a national leader in terms of building the framework for a business environment that is conducive to expansive and collaborative research institutions. His leadership has led to significant growth of major research parks and attracted more than 50 bioscience companies in the last two years.”
Governor O’Malley launched his Maryland BIO 2020 Initiative at the 2008 BIO International Convention in San Diego. The initiative pledges more than $1.3 billion in biotechnology investment over a ten year period. Highlights of the plan include the establishment of the Maryland Biotechnology Center, growing Maryland’s technology incubator network, increasing technology transfer, increasing intellectual property valuation and protection services, and funding increases for numerous biotech-related incentives and programs.
You might like:
- Advanced Manufacturing Industry: Dynamic Advancements
- Thomson Reuters Expanding Texas Operations
- Amazon.com Expanding In New Jersey
- Airbus Expanding In Virginia
- Data Cowboys
- GM Investing Over $788M, Creating 781 Jobs In Tennessee
- Hankook Tire To Invest $5M, Move North American HQ To Tennessee
- Cover Story: Global Biotech Report
- Allergan Breaks Ground On $200M Texas Expansion
- B. Braun To Add 175 Jobs In Florida
- Entrata Expanding In Utah
- March / April 2016 Issue (Volume 49, Number 2)
- Duo Security, Inc. Adding 300 Jobs In Michigan
- EdenCrete To Create 250 Jobs, Invest $67M In Georgia
- Harry’s Fresh Foods Creating Nashville Production Facility