Bombardier Lands in Macon, GA
Macon, GA Mayor Robert Reichert and Macon Bibb County Industrial Authority Chairman Cliff Whitby have announced that Bombardier Aerospace will open a maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) operation at the Middle Georgia Regional Airport in Macon, Bibb County, Georgia.
The Canadian-based transportation giant will invest $2 million, employ 180 maintenance and support personnel and occupy the former Atlantic Southeast Airlines (ASA) building, a 91,808-square-foot facility.
“As Georgia continues to pursue excellence in the aerospace sector, the relocation of Bombardier to the state is a great step in that direction,” said Governor Sonny Perdue. “I join with the Macon community and the Middle Georgia region in welcoming yet another aerospace industry leader to the state.”
The facility will be operated by Bombardier Customer Service and will complement the two Bombardier-owned commercial aircraft service centers in Bridgeport, WV and Tucson, AZ.
“The investment in the Macon service center, as well as the new one at Schiphol (Airport in Amsterdam), is evidence of Bombardier’s ongoing commitment to improve the maintenance support we offer our customers, and the 10-year contract with ASA is a testament to the quality we provide throughout our service centers,” said James Hoblyn, president, Bombardier Customer Services & Specialized and Amphibious Aircraft,
Bombardier Customer Services has signed a 10-year exclusive agreement with Georgia-based ASA, becoming the exclusive provider of heavy maintenance services for ASA’s fleet of 150 CRJ aircraft (including 108 CRJ200, 38 CRJ700 and 10 CRJ900 models). “Bombardier Customer Services has proven to be a reliable heavy maintenance provider for ASA’s Bombardier fleet and we are pleased to be extending our well-established partnership with Bombardier Customer Services in Macon,” said Ken Ashworth, Vice President, Maintenance, Atlantic Southeast Airlines.
“Macon and Middle Georgia is a strategic location for aerospace and aviation businesses and the state of Georgia is home to more than 500 firms that perform all facets of work in the aircraft maintenance industry.”Commissioner Ken Stewart, Georgia Department of Economic Development said,
“We have worked hard to maintain and expand industry in the Macon-Bibb County community and are therefore very pleased to have Bombardier conduct its operations here in conjunction with ASA,” said Cliffard Whitby, Chairman of the Macon-Bibb County Industrial Authority. “This success reflects the quality of our skilled workforce and training and the cooperation and collaboration among community leaders.”
Bombardier joins Boeing, Timco, Vought, Northrop Grumman and Robins Air Force Base, the largest industrial complex in the state, in Georgia’s Aerospace Corridor.
“We are delighted that Bombardier has made the decision to locate at Middle Georgia Regional Airport; not only will this afford employment opportunities for the aircraft maintenance personnel who were displaced by ASA’s relocation of their maintenance facility to Atlanta, it will bring a prestigious, international aircraft manufacturer to Macon and Middle Georgia,” said Mayor Reichert.
You might like:
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment
- Eli Lilly and Company To Expand Indianapolis R&D Headquarters
- Business Report: Tennessee – DENSO Manufacturing Expanding in Maryville, TN
- Business Report – North Carolina: Growing Innovation Throughout The Tarheel State
- Business Report – California: Largest Solar Facility On Earth Goes Operational
- Alcoa Expands R&D Center Near Pittsburgh
- U.S. Innovation Hubs: Inventing the Future
- Logistics Networks Are Getting Back On Track
- Panama Canal: Bigger, Better and Ready to Rumble
- Bell Inc. To Invest $30M In Ohio Carton Manufacturing Facility
- Business Facilities LiveXchange 2016 Registration Now Open
- The Tree Pods are Coming