MTU Detroit Diesel Puts Plant in Aiken County, SC
The South Carolina Department of Commerce and the Economic Development Partnership have announced that MTU Detroit Diesel Inc. is planning to establish the company’s new manufacturing facility in Aiken County. MTU Detroit Diesel Inc., a subsidiary of the German-based and stock market listed Tognum Group, anticipates that its expansion project will require a $45 million investment and the creation of 250 new jobs. The Tognum Group produces propulsion systems and distributed energy systems based on diesel engines, gas engines, gas turbines and fuel cells for military, marine, rail, agriculture, heavy industrial and power generation applications.
MTU Detroit Diesel has selected the former SKF building in Sage Mill Industrial Park in Aiken County as the potential location of its new manufacturing operations. The company is currently in a due diligence process on the property, which should be completed within the next two months. Depending on the results of the due diligence process a formal announcement is expected at that time.
The Aiken County Council will meet on Tuesday, January 19 to vote on an agreement between the County and MTU Detroit Diesel Inc., which will be available once the company formally selects Aiken County for its expansion project.
With the new operations, MTU Detroit Diesel plans to produce general and special purpose diesel engines for use in marine, rail, land and power plant applications.
“MTU is a worldwide leading brand for diesel engines and propulsion systems for a range of applications, and the company’s consideration of Aiken County for its new operations is another indication that our state continues to be highly competitive within the manufacturing industry. We are confident that MTU will find Aiken County and South Carolina to be an ideal location for their new operations and we look forward to the progression of this project,” said Joe Taylor, Secretary of Commerce.
Ronnie Young, Chairman of Aiken County Council, commented, “In these times of high statewide and local unemployment, we are very appreciative of MTU’s consideration of Aiken County. Aiken County Council has worked hard to bring quality jobs to our community and MTU will be an excellent corporate neighbor upon the successful completion of the due diligence phase. The SKF building has been vacant for over three years and it would be good to have a prestigious international company bring its operations to Aiken County.”
MTU Detroit Diesel Inc. is the North American regional headquarters of MTU Friedrichshafen GmbH, the core company of Tognum Group. It supplies diesel engines and complete propulsion systems for ships, heavy agricultural and rail vehicles, industrial drive systems and distributed energy systems. The product range, comprising diesel engines from 20 to 9,100 kilowatts power output, is one of the most advanced and comprehensive in the industry. The company also develops and produces tailored electronic systems to control and monitor its engines and propulsion systems. Tognum’s current manufacturing sites in the United States are in Detroit, Michigan, and Mankato, Minnesota.
You might like:
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment
- Eli Lilly and Company To Expand Indianapolis R&D Headquarters
- Business Report: Tennessee – DENSO Manufacturing Expanding in Maryville, TN
- Business Report – California: Largest Solar Facility On Earth Goes Operational
- Business Report – North Carolina: Growing Innovation Throughout The Tarheel State
- Alcoa Expands R&D Center Near Pittsburgh
- U.S. Innovation Hubs: Inventing the Future
- Logistics Networks Are Getting Back On Track
- Panama Canal: Bigger, Better and Ready to Rumble
- Bell Inc. To Invest $30M In Ohio Carton Manufacturing Facility
- Business Facilities LiveXchange 2016 Registration Now Open
- The Tree Pods are Coming