Mayor’s Report: Jersey City, New Jersey
New Jersey’s Premier Destination
With 240,000 residents who represent more than 90 different nationalities and a daily employee base of 254,000 individuals from every race, creed and walk of life, it is no wonder that Jersey City has become a world-class city and the cultural center of New Jersey. Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy said: “Our diversity, regard for tradition and appreciation of innovation provided the basis of Jersey City’s cultural and economic growth. But certainly, the vision, determination and strength of our residents, merchants and business leaders have made this growth extraordinary.”
MORE FOR LESS
Many of the nation’s finest businesses and biggest retailers reside in Jersey City. Within the city’s 15-square miles there are businesses and other establishments with decades-old roots in the community as well as brand-new entrepreneurial endeavors. Businesses choose to locate here because of the city’s proximity to Manhattan, and easy access to a comprehensive mass transit system as well as the world’s great seaports, and three international airports.
Newer, less expensive commercial spaces with impressive amenities and state-of-the-art technologies are available with lower operating costs than those in Manhattan, and businesses thrive amid incredible housing opportunities, a flourishing cultural community, nationally known retailers, unique and culturally diverse shops and dining spots, and world-class hotels.
In Jersey City, there is no city income tax, corporate tax, payroll tax, or commercial rent tax.
HELPING BUSINESSES SUCCEED
“In these difficult times, we are doing all we can to help businesses thrive, not just survive,” said Mayor Healy. Greater efforts are being made to acquaint businesses with the benefits of being located in Jersey City, especially in the City’s Urban Enterprise Zone—one of the largest and most productive in New Jersey.
One-third of Jersey City is designated as an Urban Enterprise Zone, and participating UEZ businesses can charge half the standard sales tax —just 3.5%—on certain purchases. UEZ member businesses may be eligible for employee tax credits, reduced unemployment insurance, and façade rehabilitation and relocation grants. Additionally, UEZ members may apply for State of New Jersey programs such as the InvestNJ Business Grant and Main Street Business programs, and the Business Employee Incentive Program.
LOTS TO SEE AND DO…
Jersey City has restaurants and eateries to suit every taste and budget. There’s also a wealth of galleries, studios, clubs and entertainment spots, theater and dance companies, and Liberty Science Center. With about 1,550 acres of parks and open green spaces—including Liberty State Park, Liberty National Golf Club (home of the BARCLAYS™ 2009—PGA TOUR Playofffs for the FedExCup!), and the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway, plus tennis, baseball and soccer fields, and two great marinas—Jersey City also provides a wide-range of recreational opportunities for youngsters to the young-at-heart.
MAKE JERSEY CITY YOUR PLACE OF BUSINESS!
Jersey City Economic Development Corp.
30 Montgomery Street, Suite 820
Jersey City, NJ 07302
UEZ Director Roberta Farber
You might like:
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment
- Eli Lilly and Company To Expand Indianapolis R&D Headquarters
- Business Report: Tennessee – DENSO Manufacturing Expanding in Maryville, TN
- Business Report – North Carolina: Growing Innovation Throughout The Tarheel State
- Business Report – California: Largest Solar Facility On Earth Goes Operational
- Alcoa Expands R&D Center Near Pittsburgh
- U.S. Innovation Hubs: Inventing the Future
- Logistics Networks Are Getting Back On Track
- Panama Canal: Bigger, Better and Ready to Rumble
- Bell Inc. To Invest $30M In Ohio Carton Manufacturing Facility
- NTN Driveshaft Adding 500+ Jobs in Indiana
- Business Facilities LiveXchange 2016 Registration Now Open
Topic Tags: NJ