Prepare To Surface
From the Desk of the Editor in Chief
In every great submarine warfare movie, there always is a scene in which a crippled sub is dropping like a stone, heading for a hull-popping tomb on the bottom of the ocean. At the last second, someone will grab a wrench and head down to the engine room. Standing in chest-deep water, with oil dripping into his eyes, the hero finds a way get the power going again.
In this issue, we publish the third installment of our new Governor’s Report series. Like the two governors we profiled earlier this year, Iowa’s Chet Culver and Michigan’s Jennifer Granholm, Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear is moving aggressively to jump-start a bevy of new industries in his state.
Gov. Beshear and his fellow state chief executives are faced with challenges that have not been seen in the U.S. since the 1930s. We are pleased to report they are rising to the task. Speaking of rising, that faint rumbling under your feet is coming from the first tentative turns of the gears. And yes, the floor is tilting ever so slightly, because the bow of the big ship is inching its way off the bottom.
It is pointing in the best possible direction—up.
You might like:
- Feature Story: Georgia Governor’s Report – Georgia’s High-Powered Growth Engine
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment