Medical-device manufacturer Medtronic Inc. announced today that it has selected San Antonio, TX as the site of an expansion of its diabetes business unit.
The San Antonio location beat out two competing sites in the Kansas City area, including the Applebee’s Services Inc. headquarters in Lenexa, that had been in contention for the expansion, which is expected to add 1,300 jobs to the San Antonio area.
The announcement of the Medtronic site selection was made at a ceremony attended by Gov. Rick Perry in San Antonio on Monday afternoon.
The Medtronic facility will be located at a mixed-use development known as The Rim. Minneapolis-based Medtronic’s diabetes division, which makes insulin pumps, glucose monitoring devices and diabetes-management software, is one of Medtronic’s fastest-growing businesses. The unit already employs 1,500 people in Northridge, Calif., just outside Los Angeles, but reportedly doesn’t have room to expand there.
In March, Medtronic officials confirmed that Kansas City and San Antonio were the final competitors for the expansion after a nine-month search. One the sites in Kansas City that had been considered was the 178,000-square-foot Applebee’s facility in Lenexa’s Southlake Technology Park.
You might like:
- 1,000th Michigan Business Lands Energy Incentives
- California, Illinois, Texas Lead The Charge Toward A Modernized Power Grid
- AvePoint Expanding In Richmond And Arlington County, Virginia
- Super Bowl 50 To Generate Over $220M For San Francisco Bay Area
- Grid Stars
- Valmiera Glass To Invest $90M In Georgia
- Indiana Electrical Grid Management Firm Adding 80+ Jobs
- Sustainable Corrugated Investing $15M In Georgia
- Rapid Growth Leads 2U To New Maryland HQ
- Olympus Will Build National Service Center in Bartlett, TN
- Illinois Is Top State For LEED Green Building
- Icy Hot
- Walking the Walk
- Business Facilities LiveXchange Announces 2016 Keynote Panel
- Daimler Trucks To Invest $22.7M In SC Freightliner Facilities