From the Desk of the Editor in Chief
Each year, when we solicit nominations for our Economic Development Deal of the Year Award, we always are looking for the “Rolls-Royce” of development projects.
This year’s winners, our 16th annual awards presentation, include not only a Rolls, but also a Volkswagon and a project so hot it is positively radioactive.
Our Gold Award, the top honor, goes to Virginia’s Gateway Region for its success in snaring Rolls-Royce’s new advanced manufacturing center, which will develop new jet engines and generate nearly $2 billion in economic activity and 8,200 new jobs.
A very close second was our Silver Award winner, the Chattanooga Area Chamber of Commerce, which announced during the summer that Volkswagon has chosen Chattanooga as the site of its new North American automotive plant, a $1-billion investment.
The Bronze Award went to Grow Idaho Falls and Bonneville County, ID, for AREVA’s decision to locate a new $2-billion uranium enrichment facility in eastern Idaho.
Our distinguished panel of awards judges was particularly impressed by the creativity and teamwork exhibited by each of the winners in crafting the incentives and regional cooperation needed to land these mega-projects. Details on the winning projects, and also several that deserved honorable mentions, can be found in this month’s cover feature.
Business Facilities congratulates this year’s winners and all of the other nominees, who all merited consideration for the 2008 Economic Development Deal of the Year Award.
You might like:
- 1,000th Michigan Business Lands Energy Incentives
- California, Illinois, Texas Lead The Charge Toward A Modernized Power Grid
- AvePoint Expanding In Richmond And Arlington County, Virginia
- Super Bowl 50 To Generate Over $220M For San Francisco Bay Area
- Grid Stars
- Valmiera Glass To Invest $90M In Georgia
- Indiana Electrical Grid Management Firm Adding 80+ Jobs
- Sustainable Corrugated Investing $15M In Georgia
- Olympus Will Build National Service Center in Bartlett, TN
- Illinois Is Top State For LEED Green Building
- Rapid Growth Leads 2U To New Maryland HQ
- Icy Hot
- Walking the Walk: Innovation Summit
- Business Facilities LiveXchange Announces 2016 Keynote Panel
- Daimler Trucks To Invest $22.7M In SC Freightliner Facilities