Here’s the understatement of the year for you: The United States is in some pretty deep trouble.
As our presidential nominees debate whether or not to have a debate tomorrow, our current head honcho, George Bush, broadcast himself into our living rooms to tell us “our entire economy is in danger.” Thanks, W, for that update from the Department of the Obvious. He must still be trying to determine how many zeros to write on that $700 billion bailout check.
Meanwhile, the $27 billion in damages caused by Hurricane Ike this month has left large swatches of Texas and the Gulf coast in disarray. The storm also caused gasoline prices to surge throughout the nation, which already is in an energy crisis. Offshore drilling is a contemptuous issue enough, but it does not help our unstable situation that one of our primary oil suppliers, Venezuela, is controlled by Hugo Chavez, an ardent American antagonist who unceremoniously sent home the U.S. ambassador nearly two weeks ago on September 11–coincidence? I think not. Last week, our embassy in Yemen was blown up and, just yesterday, Iranian figurehead Mahmoud Ahmadinejad declared to the UN assembly that “the American empire…is reaching the end of the road.” This statement comes from the man who infamously told Columbia University that there are no homosexuals in Iran. Brilliant.
Did I forget to mention that our troops (and dollars) are still…in…Iraq? Here’s a simple idea: Let’s bring our women and men home and use some of the millions of bucks we are spending in the Persian Gulf to give them jobs in Ohio, Michigan, Louisiana..we have 50 places to choose from! We can call this plan Economics 101.
Sarcasm aside, it sure has been a rough several weeks, months, years for the United States. When things get this dire, it can be difficult to find that clichÅ½d light at the end of the tunnel. But as I flip through my calendar, I do see something to look forward to. It’s called Election Day, and it’s November 4. If you aren’t registered, don’t know where to vote, or need an absentee ballot, check out www.stopandvote.org. This may be the most important election of our lifetime.
You might like:
- 3D Systems Expanding In Tennessee
- Amazon Adding Two New Fulfillment Facilities In California
- Business Report: Illinois Leaders Form Non-Profit to Spur Job Creation
- Industry Focus: Aerospace Sector Is Flying High Again
- Kansas City Launches “Smart City” Initiative
- Data Cowboys
- Leading FDI Experts Analyze Global Trends At LiveXchange
- Michigan Hot Dog Maker To Expand, Hire 140 Workers
- Last Chance
- Chicago Celebrates Technology Startup Hub Expansion, 700 New Tech Jobs
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries HQ Moving To Texas
- Shopping Bag Manufacturer Creating 100 Jobs In Georgia
- State Focus: New York – Accelerating Biotech Innovation In The Empire State
- Automotive Parts Supplier Expanding In Indiana
- SIG SAUER Moving Ammunition Manufacturing To Arkansas
- Salesforce To Grow Regional HQ, Add 800 Jobs In Indiana
- Advanced Manufacturing Industry: Dynamic Advancements
- Two-Way Street