Is YOUR job safe!?
With the word recession at the tip of every one’s tongues these days, I figured it would be apropos to spotlight an article I read today on Yahoo titled “Recession-Proof Jobs in 2008.” According to the article:
“Economists at Merrill Lynch and Morgan Stanley say the U.S. is heading for its first-blown recession in 16 years, and a recent CNN poll found that 57 percent of the public believe the U.S. is in a recession already, with the economy topping the list of voter’s worries.”
The article went on to discuss exactly which employment sectors are recession-proof, and the winners are …
- International business
- Environmental sector
And, in other recession news … Bush’s Congressional leaders completed a deal with the White House today on tax rebates to help revive our failing economy. The $150 billion plan, also includes close to $50 billion in business tax cuts. Under the plan, individuals who pay income taxes would get up to $600 and couples would get up to $1,200 (couples with children would get an additional $300 per child). In addition, individuals who make at least $3,000 but don’t pay taxes would get $300 rebates. Only individuals whose income is $75,000 or less and couples with a combined income of $150,000 or less would be eligible for the rebates.
So, it looks like a good portion of us will have some extra money in our pockets soon (around June, according to sources) courtesy of Uncle Sam, who already takes a lot of extra money I could be putting back into the economy out of my pocket every pay period.
It will be good to see some of my own hard-earned cash back in my pocket! I guess this means I can get two scoops in my cone this summer instead of one!
You might like:
- Feature Story: Georgia Governor’s Report – Georgia’s High-Powered Growth Engine
- Business Facilities’ 11th Annual Rankings Report: Metro and Global Rankings
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Austin, Nashville, Raleigh Are Metro Frontrunners
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Metro Rankings Report: Indiana Metros Are Exports Leaders
- Business Facilities’ 2015 Global Rankings Report: China Leads In Renewable Energy Investment